Thursday, July 22, 2010

Kopan Monastery

When I left Boudha (see earlier post) I continued on my monastery hunt to the next stop - Kopan. When I entered its gate I saw couple boys, monks, playing with plastic guns and few others seated close by, drinking tea. Some tourists and students who stay at the site were mingling around but over all, the entire place was very quiet.

Kopan felt very isolated, almost unfriendly and till today I wonder why.. Interesting fact I read afterwards, supposedly Lama Tenzin Osel Rinpoche, Spanish boy, who was declared the reincarnation of the founder of Kopan who died in 84’, was inspiration for Bernardo Bertolucci’s film Little Buddha.










2 comments:

  1. Hello Jitendra,

    This post might balance a bit what was written about the Kopan Moastery in this blog, I hope....

    I am European and live in Kathmanu since 1998. I know Kopan since 1999, made several retreats there and am there regularly.

    It is quite amazing that you saw young monks playing with plastic guns there. Please be assured that once this was discovered this kind of toys were immediateley taken away from them and instructions on use or not-use of weapons given.

    I never saw such an incident or any other negative incident at Kopan and I visit the palce regularly since 10 years.

    Kopan Monastey is a place of peace, that`s what I always found there. My hope is that others will discover it there too.


    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, now I see that the Kopan comments and fotos was posted by Jana.

    I got here because I was viewing the website of Jitendra Bajracharya from Kathmandu.

    This makes the whole thing different.

    Jana, I am born in the Czech Republic too, my ancestors are from the area east of Cesky Tesin.

    I needed many years to finally understand what Buddhism is about.

    Seen from this perspective I much better understand your reaction in Kopan.

    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

    Marina

    ReplyDelete