Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bittersweet..

I took this photograph today at Pashupatinath - most important Hindu temple in Nepal, while working on one of my stories about Laxmi and her four children (on the right).

On their day off they decided to come to this crematorium site to see monkeys and enjoy the up hill walk with variety of views.

Before we left the place, we watched kids playing in the sacred (and heavily polluted) Bagmati river while dead bodies were burned on cremation ghats in the background.

Many of these kids spend their time not just playing in the water but also mostly searching for gold and coins that fall of from the cloths that are wrapped around the dead bodies before the cremation.

While editing, I realized that this image sums it all up for me.

The way I feel about Nepal..


1 comment: